http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/krschfld/navbar6_zps9e757c7d.png

home about me contact advertise disclosures

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New, New, Newness

As always, the new year is a time for reflection and anticipation. In March I left my job of 3.5 years and went somewhere new. I finally stood up for myself and sought out a better working environment. Over the summer, I turned 22, wrote a thesis about gendered differences in sexual expectations, and then graduated. Keith found out, finally, that his company had placed him in New Jersey: disbelief turned to sadness turned to planning. In September, I spent three weeks there. I explored (admittedly less than I had planned) but enough to catch a glimpse at the life that I, that we, could have there. While the prospect felt strange, while there I found places, already, that made me feel at home: walking along the waterfront, quiet with the wind on my face. So, the decision was made -- I was going to move to New Jersey. The last few months have been filled to the brim with planning, working, and spending time with friends and family. We celebrated holidays and finally, at the very end of the year, I was accepted to grad school.

Its hard to believe that its only been a few months. It feels like the conversations and worries and planning has been insurmountable. Its surreal that 2013 brings not only a new year, but a new state, a new place to call home, a new school to attend, new people to meet, new restaurants to frequent, and so much newness. In the midst of all this brand-spanking-newness, I've forgotten to recall the important things that remain the same: my family's enduring support, my wonderful friends that are always a phone call away, a partner to lean on and to share this experience with, and where my true homeplace always will be.

And so, here is what I resolve for this year: to be purposeful about meeting new people, unafraid to invite classmates to coffee or to join a kickball league. To maintain my new long distance relationships by making frequent phone calls, skype dates, and emails. To take lots of pictures. And to have confidence in my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and thoughts, but please keep it respectful. Spam will be removed. -Kara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...