http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/krschfld/navbar6_zps9e757c7d.png

home about me contact advertise disclosures

Friday, February 1, 2013

Cooking for Two: Baked Pancake Breakfast


Keith worked late from home on Thursday evening, so he had some flexibility on his starting time Friday morning. I took advantage of that by making one of my favorite breakfasts: David Eyre's pankcakes. This baked pancake is delicious and looks super impressive while being insanely easy to make. I've been making it for years, but this is the first time I've been able to make it for Keith. I usually serve it with a homemade blueberry sauce and a hot cuppa coffee.




I follow this recipe from Milk and Mode. I'm constantly substituting ingredients because I am horrible at grocery shopping. This time I was out of milk, so I added an extra egg and a bit of water instead, which seemed to work better than using skim milk (that I usually have on hand, instead of whole that the recipe calls for). And I substituted Cinnamon for Nutmeg. Below I included the version that I cooked today, but feel free to reference the original.

David Eyre's Pancake adapted from Milk and Mode
Ingredients:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Pinch of cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
Two cap-fulls lemon juice
Water, as needed (about a teaspoon)

Directions:
Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Mix the flour, eggs, and cinnamon in a bowl. Beat lightly. Add a little water so that your batter mixes easily, but isn't runny. Don't overmix -- leave it a bit lumpy.

Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet with a heat-proof handle. Make sure to cover the bottom and run some along the sides of your pan. When it is hot, pour in the batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the pancake is golden brown.

Sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice and return to the oven for just a minute or two.


One is enough to share between two people. Definitely serve it with some kind of fruit sauce or jam -- I think maple syrup would be too insubstantial. Below is the blueberry sauce recipe that I used, although I'm sure you could substitute any berry that you have on hand.

Homemade Blueberry Sauce
2 cups blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:
Smash blueberries with a fork to release yummy juices. Combine blueberries, their juice, and all other ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer. Done when the pancakes are.

Enjoy! Let me know if you made it!



1 comment:

  1. Mmmh,looks very good...I like your blog.;-)
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.;)
    Lovely greets Nessa
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and thoughts, but please keep it respectful. Spam will be removed. -Kara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...