http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/krschfld/navbar6_zps9e757c7d.png

home about me contact advertise disclosures

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

New Job... New Job Wardrobe

Okay, I have a pretty big announcement: I've accepted a new job! It all happened pretty fast. I interviewed on Friday and was offered the job conditionally as long as my references checked out. Thankfully they did! I filled out paperwork on Monday, gave my notice yesterday, so I guess it's really official. While it's still a part-time, retail position, I couldn't be more excited. I'm going to be working for a clothing boutique, which will be a much better fit than the large department store that I'm leaving. More intimate, more product knowledge, and more hours... sounds perfect. It seems like the first thing that I do when I get a new job is brainstorm how I'll dress for it, so I thought I'd share.

outfit details available on Polyvore
I know I'll need to get some new pieces for this job. Their dress code is business casual. I have limited business casual apparel, but it's mostly in black (due to my current dress code). Since I'm on a pretty tight budget, I wanted to focus on pieces that will mix and match to create a variety of different outfits with only a few pieces. Using a limited color palette always helps with that. I decided to stick with neutrals and add just one POP color (I'm obsessed with cobalt blue).

I'm not a huge fan of skirts and dresses, so I focused on using cropped pants for my base. I already own a pair in black. I love the white on white looks that are popping up now for spring and summer, so I thought that a pair of white cropped trousers would be a great addition. A few lightweight tops: a white button down and a couple with simple patterns. They match either set of pants and are fine alone or layered with a blazer. A basic black blazer is a must and can be paired with any set of pants and any top. I also added a blue blazer. I love the idea of a bright blazer over a simple white shirt and trousers. Most of my accessories are simple, but could be layered with a fun scarf to add a different look. I also added a chunky necklace in a complementary color. Since I'll be on my feet all day (retail!) flats are a must. A basic black and a fun neutral pattern match everything.

My first day is on Friday and I can't wait. It's amazing how a new opportunity can really add to your enthusiasm. How would you dress for a new job?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and thoughts, but please keep it respectful. Spam will be removed. -Kara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...