http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/krschfld/navbar6_zps9e757c7d.png

home about me contact advertise disclosures

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Practical Concerns

There are lots of practical considerations that one has to make about moving across the country. I'm lucky in that Keith is already living there, so I don't have to worry about finding a place to live!

One of the biggest is decisions is figuring out how to move. Do we rent a moving truck or a SUV and drive? Should we ship what I'll need? Rent a mobile storage unit that I can fill up here then unload there? Its hard to decide.

That decision will be hugely impacted by how much stuff I bring! Its difficult to decide what I'll bring, what I'll save to have shipped to me later, and what I'll sell then possibly replace in NJ. Should I bring a desk, bookcase, and my easel or buy those items out east? What about my bike? Even though I visited Keith in September and I know the space that we'll be living in, its hard to know how much space there will be for my things. I feel that I've accumulated so many things and it seems overwhelming to sort through it all.

Additionally, I'm worried about money. I'm putting 10% of each paycheck into savings while being intentionally frugal. However, since I'm moving right after the holiday season, I'm worried that there won't be much availability of part-time jobs. I've been brainstorming some back up plans, just in case. Maybe being a dog walker or trying to do some babysitting. I ran an etsy for a brief time, but couldn't keep up with it while I was in school and working part-time; I would definitely be interested in restarting it.

I'm sure as moving day comes closer some of these things will be clarified, while other new concerns are introduced. There's a lot to consider when it comes to starting life somewhere new... this is just the tip of the iceberg!

[edit to add]: My last post was about Hurricane Sandy while Keith was largely out of contact. Just want to add that he is safe and sound, back in his apartment, with power and flood-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and thoughts, but please keep it respectful. Spam will be removed. -Kara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...